- Fuji’s 2.1 megapixel Super CCD sensor delivers resolutions up to 2,304 x 1,728 pixels (4.0 megapixels) through interpolation
- 3x optical plus 3.6x digital (10.8x total) zoom lens with autofocus
- Included 16 MB SmartMedia card holds approximately 20 images at default resolution
- Connects to Macs and PCs via USB port
- Uses rechargeable lithium-ion battery (NP60)
The compact FinePix F401 uses Fuji’s third-generation 2.1-megapixel Super CCD sensor, which can produce a maximum image file size of 4 megapixels through interpolation. It also features a 3x optical zoom, 3x digital zoom, movie mode, and voice annotation function.
Optics and Resolution
With its 2.1-megapixel Super CCD (with interpolated results up to 4 megapixels) the FinePix F401 delivers resolution up to 2,304 x 1,728 pixels for colorful prints up to 11-by-14 inches. Combined with Fuji’s proprietary image-processing method–Pixel Data Coupling–and new noise-reduction technology, the new Super CCD enables the FinePix F401 to deliver a wider range of ISO sensitivities with a minimal increase in CCD “noise.”
The FinePix F401 also features a 3x optical aspherical zoom lens (with up to a 3x digital zoom option) that allows for more detailed close-ups.
Fuji’s Super CCD
Instead of conventional CCDs with square photodiodes and pixel arrangements, Fuji’s Super CCD has octagonal-shaped photodiodes and pixels situated on 45-degree angles. This “honeycomb” pattern increases sensitivity, allowing pixels to be efficiently packed at maximum density. The area of the photodiode in a half-inch Super CCD with 2 million pixels is about 1.6 times as large as the area offered in the conventional CCD with the same number of pixels. The Super CCD improves overall signal-to-noise ratio and offers a much wider dynamic range.
In movie mode, the FinePix F601 produces color digital videos in multiple creative formats, including QVGA (320 x 240, 10 frames per second) and QQVGA (320 x 160, 30 frames per second with sound).
The limited resolution of your movies guarantees that this feature won’t replace your camcorder, but it’s perfect for when you just want to capture a quick movie and e-mail it to a friend or relative.
Storage and Transfer
Images are stored on SmartMedia memory cards. The included 16 MB card holds approximately 10 images at the highest 4-megapixel setting or 40 at the normal 2-megapixel setting.
To transfer images to your computer, simply attach the included USB cable between your PC and your camera–your computer should automatically recognize the camera and let you move the pictures to your hard drive.
The camera is powered by rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which is charged by the included AC adapter.
At 3.3 by 2.7 by 1 inches 6.5 ounces, the FinePix F401 is quite light and comfortable in the palm of your hand–perfect for shooting pictures wherever you roam.
- Shutter speeds range from 3 to 1/1,000 seconds with adjustable ISO sensitivity of 100/200/400, including a high-sensitivity 1-megapixel (1,280 x 960) mode at ISO 800/1600.
- Continuous shooting modes: 4 frames per second for 5 pictures for either the first 5 frames or final 5 frames
- Voice-memo function records up to 30 seconds of audio with each picture
Contents and Recommended Accessories
This package contains the FinePix F401 digital camera, 16MB SmartMedia card, lithium-ion rechargeable battery, AC adapter-battery charger, wrist strap, USB cable, printed manual, and CD-ROM featuring FinePixViewer software and drivers.
We recommend a higher-capacity SmartMedia card.